Welcome to the Electrical Homepage
The State Electrical Board licenses, registers, and regulates electricians, apprentices, and electrical contractors. The Board does not regulate communication systems, elevators or passenger conveyors, bridge or highway projects, or data processing systems. The Board's mission is to protect the health and safety of the people of Colorado by enforcing the state electrical statutes. The Board conducts regular inspections of the installations it regulates, and reviews special requests for exceptions to the code.
The Board is made up of nine professional and public members appointed by the governor.
Processing times for permit applications submitted via U.S. mail may be delayed by up to 5-7 business days. We are encouraging all individuals requesting an electrical or plumbing inspection to submit their permit applications using our online system.
Online permit submissions are processed in the system immediately upon payment. For any questions regarding the online system please contact email@example.com.
- Program/Board Members
Joyce J. Young, Program Director
State Electrical Board
1560 Broadway, Suite 1350
Denver, CO 80202
- Gina Cullen, Chair
- Joseph Montoya, Vice-Chair
- Christopher Butler
Public at Large
- Monique Cisneros
- Elva Diane Lynch
Electrical Contractor with Master Electrician
- Matthew Williams
- Brent Nilsen
Public at Large
- Thomas R. Kiel
- Jeremy Sanchez
- Gina Cullen, Chair
- Public Notices
Permanent Rulemaking Hearing - January 24, 2024
The Colorado Electrical Board will hold a Rulemaking Hearing on January 24, 2024, at 9:00 A.M. to allow stakeholder a final opportunity to testify before the Board determines whether to repeal Rule 1.14 - PROTECTING COLORADO’S WORKFORCE AND EXPANDING LICENSING OPPORTUNITIES, on a permanent basis, to implement Colorado Senate Bill 23-265 (CONCERNING A PROHIBITION ON A REGULATOR IMPOSING DISCIPLINE AGAINST A PERSON BASED ON CERTAIN ACTIVITIES INVOLVING MARIJUANA).
- Wednesday, January 24, 2024, at 9:00 A.M. (MDT)
- Permanent Rulemaking Hearing Notice
- Draft Rules
- Webinar Registration
- Written comments regarding SB23-265 (Link will be updated as comments are received.)
REQUESTING WRITTEN STAKEHOLDER COMMENTS
Implementation of Colorado Senate Bill 23-265
What is this about?
The following Boards and Programs within the Division of Professions and Occupations are requesting written comments regarding the implementation of Colorado Senate Bill 23-265 (CONCERNING A PROHIBITION ON A REGULATOR IMPOSING DISCIPLINE AGAINST A PERSON BASED ON CERTAIN ACTIVITIES INVOLVING MARIJUANA), and the proposed repeal of the Board and Program rules that are no longer necessary after the codification of these regulations into law.
Each of the listed Boards and Programs below will hold a Permanent Rulemaking Hearing on the dates below to determine whether to repeal the rules on a permanent basis to implement the law. Please submit written comments as soon as possible. The Boards and Programs will continue to accept written comments until the Permanent Rulemaking Hearings where stakeholders will be given a final opportunity to testify before the Board and/or the Director or Director's designee. Please visit the Board and Program websites under the "Public Notices" tab for the most current information, including webinar registration information, written comments, and the draft rules.
- Colorado State Board of Licensure for Architects, Professional Engineers, and Professional Land Surveyors - December 8, 2023
- Colorado Office of Barber and Cosmetology Licensure - December 8, 2023
- Colorado Office of Combative Sports and Colorado Combative Sports Commission - TBD
- Colorado Electrical Board - January 24, 2024
- Colorado Office of Funeral Home and Crematory Registration - December 8, 2023
- Colorado State Board of Landscape Architects - February 16, 2024
- Colorado Office of Outfitters Registration - December 8, 2023
- Colorado Office of Radon Professionals - December 8, 2023
Permanent Rulemaking Hearing - September 27, 2023
The purpose of this Permanent Rulemaking Hearing was for the Board to consider adopting proposed changes to the State Electrical Board's Rule 1.5 to implement Colorado HB23-1233 to incorporate by reference the Model Electric Ready and Solar Ready Code.
- Adopted Rules (Emergency Rules Effective on July 26, 2023)
- Written comments (opens in new window) (Link will be updated as comments are received.)
- Stakeholder Meeting Recording - August 3, 2023
Permanent Rulemaking Hearing - May 31, 2023
The State Electrical Board will hold a Permanent Rulemaking Hearing to allow stakeholders a final opportunity to provide testimony before the Board considers adopting the proposed changes to the State Electrical Board’s Rules 1.1 and 1.2 in order to properly update the incorporation by reference of the National Electric Code to the most current version and to add to the fining schedule the violation of applying for an electrical permit if not a qualified applicant.
- Legislative Updates
- 2023 New Legislation
- 2022 New Legislation
- HB22-1098: Department Of Regulatory Agencies Barriers To Practice Regulated Professions
- HB22-1165: Rule Review Bill
- HB22-1242: Regulate Tiny Homes Manufacture Sale And Install
- HB22-1270: Change Term Name-based Criminal History Record Check
- HB22-1278: Behavioral Health Administration
- HB22-1291: Sunrise Review Professions Occupations
- HB22-1346 Electrician Plumber Licensing Apprentice Ratio
- SB22-013: Boards and Commissions
- SB22-076: Complaint Occupational License Official Acts
- SB22-116: Increase Occupational Credential Portability
- SB22-143: Update Common Provision Term Regulator Title 12
- SB22-162: Administration Organization Act Modernization
- SB22-174: Sunset Review Hearing Criteria
- 2021 New Legislation
- 2020 New Legislation
- Meeting Minutes