Processing times for permit applications submitted via U.S. mail may be delayed by up to 5-7 business days. We are encouraging all individuals requesting an electrical or plumbing inspection to submit their permit applications using our online system.
Online permit submissions are processed in the system immediately upon payment. For any questions regarding the online system please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Welcome to the Electrical Homepage
The State Electrical Board licenses, registers, and regulates electricians, apprentices, and electrical contractors. The Board does not regulate communication systems, elevators or passenger conveyors, bridge or highway projects, or data processing systems. The Board's mission is to protect the health and safety of the people of Colorado by enforcing the state electrical statutes. The Board conducts regular inspections of the installations it regulates, and reviews special requests for exceptions to the code.
The Board is made up of nine professional and public members appointed by the governor.
- Program/Board Members
Joyce J. Young, Program Director
State Electrical Board
1560 Broadway, Suite 1350
Denver, CO 80202
Gina Cullen, Chair
Joseph Montoya, Vice-Chair
Public at Large
Elva Diane Lynch
Electrical Contractor with Master Electrician
R Scott Roswell
Public at Large
Thomas R. Kiel
- Public Notices
Joint Stakeholder Meeting - July 29, 2022
The Division of Professions and Occupations' held a Joint Stakeholder Meeting for all Boards and Programs that allowed stakeholders an opportunity to provide feedback, and help develop new rules to implement the directives of Executive Order D-2022-034 (Protecting Colorado’s Workforce and Expanding Licensing Opportunities).
Permanent Rulemaking Hearing - May 25, 2022
The State Electrical Board will hold a Permanent Rulemaking Hearing to allow stakeholders a final opportunity to provide testimony before the Board considers adopting the proposed changes throughout the Board’s rules pursuant to the rule review mandated by section 24-4-103.3, C.R.S. The purpose of the rule review is to assess the continuing need, appropriateness, and cost-effectiveness of the rules to determine if they should be continued in their current form, modified, or repealed.
- Notice and Draft Rules
- Webinar Registration
- Sign up to Testify
- Stakeholder Meeting: March 4, 2022
- Stakeholder Meeting: April 29, 2022
Permanent Rulemaking Hearing - May 26, 2021
The State Electrical Board held a Permanent Rulemaking Hearing that allowed stakeholders a final opportunity to provide feedback before the Board considered adopting revisions to Rule 1.3, to implement Colorado Senate Bill 20-120 (Concerning new requirements for registered apprentices).
- Notice, Draft Rule, and SB20-120
- Joint Stakeholder Meeting (recording): February 22, 2021
- Joint Stakeholder Meeting (recording): April 14, 2021
- Effective Date: July 15, 2021
Permanent Rulemaking Hearing - September 29, 2021
The State Electrical Board held a Permanent Rulemaking Hearing on September 29, 2021, that allowed stakeholders a final opportunity to provide feedback before the Board considered adopting revisions to the Rule 1.11(G), to implement Colorado Senate Bill 21-077 (Concerning the elimination of verification of an individual's lawful presence in the United States as a requirement for individual credentialing).
- Legislative Updates
- 2022 New Legislation
- HB22-1098: Department Of Regulatory Agencies Barriers To Practice Regulated Professions
- HB22-1165: Rule Review Bill
- HB22-1242: Regulate Tiny Homes Manufacture Sale And Install
- HB22-1270: Change Term Name-based Criminal History Record Check
- HB22-1278: Behavioral Health Administration
- HB22-1291: Sunrise Review Professions Occupations
- HB22-1346 Electrician Plumber Licensing Apprentice Ratio
- SB22-013: Boards and Commissions
- SB22-076: Complaint Occupational License Official Acts
- SB22-116: Increase Occupational Credential Portability
- SB22-143: Update Common Provision Term Regulator Title 12
- SB22-162: Administration Organization Act Modernization
- SB22-174: Sunset Review Hearing Criteria
- 2021 New Legislation
- 2020 New Legislation
- 2022 New Legislation
- Meeting Minutes