Architect (ARC) Applications and Forms
- Licensing Requirements
Requirements for Licensure as an Architect
For application and licensing questions, email directly to email@example.com.
Licensure by Endorsement (already licensed in another jurisdiction):
- Must be licensed in good standing in another jurisdiction. Qualifications must be substantially equivalent to those currently required of new applicants. May apply directly to Colorado or with a National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB) Council Record (refer to the instructions in the application).
Licensure by Graduation, Experience and Examination:
- Graduate with a professional degree from a program accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) and have three years of practical experience of the type and time required by Board Rule 4.5.
- Graduate with a four-year architecture or environmental design degree, or other equivalent education as defined in Board Rule 4.5 and have five years of practical experience of the type and time required by Board Rule 4.5.
Licensure by Experience and Examination:
- Must have ten years of practical experience of the type and time required by Board Rule 4.5, of which education may be a part according to Board Rule 4.5.
Licensure by Transfer of Grades (already passed all divisions of the ARE):
If you have passed all divisions of the ARE but are not yet licensed in another jurisdiction, you may apply to transfer your grades to Colorado. To be eligible, you must meet all of Colorado's licensing requirements (see above) and you must provide verification of passing the exams from another jurisdiction or from NCARB.
Experience Requirements for Licensure
Please note that the experience necessary for licensure in Colorado as required in Board Rule 4.5 may be gained directly OR through the NCARB Intern Development Program (IDP). The Colorado Board recognizes, but does not currently require, successful completion of NCARB's IDP as meeting the requirements to take the ARE. However, effective January 1, 2011, the Colorado experience requirements mirror the NCARB IDP training requirements (refer to Board Rule 4.4.1). Please be aware that, unlike Colorado, many states require completion of IDP for licensure and may not award endorsement or reciprocity licensure without it. Information about IDP and states that require it is available from NCARB at www.ncarb.org.
Note: Effective January 1, 2014, NCARB's IDP will be required of all Colorado applicants for original licensure.
- Architect - Licensing Requirements
- Architect - Original License by Examination or Endorsement (Apply Online)
- Architect - Reinstate Expired License (Apply Online)
- Architect Online Reinstatement Application Checklist
- Architect Reinstatement Work Experience Form
- Note: If you are trying to Reinstate a Retired License please contact us for a paper application.
- Architect - Reactivate Inactive License
- Architect - Change Status to Inactive
- Architect - Change Status to Retired
Colorado has no requirements for companies to become registered or "authorized" with its Board in order to provide architecture in the state. However, there are provisions in the law regarding the use of "Architect" in the company name. Refer to status Practice Act for the specific requirements. Please check with the Colorado Secretary of State for any other requirements in order to do business in Colorado.
For information on continuing education for architect licensure renewal, please refer to Board Rule 18.104.22.168.2.
Communication from the Division: The Division of Professions and Occupations\' primary communication is via email. Please be sure to include your email address on your application to receive important information about your application status and process.
License Expiration Grace Period for New Applicants: All new applicants who are issued a license within 120 days of the upcoming renewal expiration date will be issued a license with the next expiration date.
License Renewal Information: All Architect licenses expire on October 31 of odd-numbered years.