All Naturopathic Doctors must begin to demonstrate Continuing Professional Competency (CPC) to practice naturopathic medicine in the state of Colorado after renewing their initial registration (i.e., If your first registration was completed during the middle of the DORA registration cycle, you do not have to start working on your CPC requirements until AFTER you renew your registration for the first time).
Naturopathic Doctors must satisfy the requirements of CPC in order to renew or reinstate a license to practice naturopathic medicine by one of the following three methods:
- Participating in the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Program
- Complete the Reflective Self-Assessment Tool (RSAT) and establish learning goals based on the results.
- Complete the Learning Plan Form to create and accomplish learning goals.
- Accrue 25 Professional Development Activities (PDA) to execute your learning plan. Please review specific requirements for treating pediatric patients in the CPC Manual found in the Resources section below.
- Deemed Status
- A licensee who satisfies the CPC requirements of an accrediting body or entity approved by the Director (see CPC Program Manual for details).
- Receiving a military exemption
- If you were called to federally-funded active duty for more than 120 days for the purpose of serving in a war, emergency or contingency, you may be eligible for an exemption from CPC requirements.
A detailed explanation of continuing professional competency can be found in the CPC Manual found in the Resources section below.
**Audits of compliance will be conducted after a renewal period ends.**
Pediatrics - Education or Practicum Training Requirements
Additional requirements must be met if treating a child younger than two (2) years old, or if treating a child two (2) years or older, but less than eight (8) years old. Details about pediatric requirements can be found in the CPC Manual, listed below, and the Naturopathic Doctor Practice Act, found online at dpo.colorado.gov/Naturopathy/Laws.
After selecting the document link, be sure to then select the download icon to use the PDf fillable form.
- CPC Manual- this document explains, in detail, continuing professional competency requirements and the CPDProgram.
- Reflective Self-Assessment Tool (RSAT)- use this form at the beginning of each renewal cycle to reflect on your professional knowledge and skills. Use the results to create learning goals to be completed during the renewal period.
- Categories for Professional Development Activities (PDA) - the categories of acceptable activities are summarized in this document. No more than 5 PDA will be accepted in a single category, except Coursework. A minimum of 13 PDA must be completed in Coursework, and all 25 PDA can be completed in Coursework. The CPC Program Manual provides detailed explanations of each category and documentation requirements.
- Learning Plan Form- use this form to plan and record the completion of your Professional Development Activities (PDA) and the learning goals you created for the CPD Program. You will provide this form if you are selected for an audit, along with documentation described in the PDA list.
- Independent Learning/Group Study Form- use this form to document any PDA completed in the Independent/Group Learning categories.
Continued Competency/Continued Professional Development
1560 Broadway, Suite 1350
Denver, CO 80202
Phone: 303-894-2363 | Fax: 303-869-0329 | Email:email@example.com