State Board of Pharmacy: Military/Veteran Information

The pathway to licensure for individuals who practiced as a pharmacist in the military and who currently hold a pharmacist license (in good standing) from another US state or jurisdiction is through the license transfer (endorsement) process. Requirements:

  • Current License(s): Applicants must hold an active pharmacist license in another US state or territory or the District of Columbia. This license must be active for at least one year prior to application (unless applicants meet internship requirements).
  • Pass the Multistate Pharmacy Jurisprudence Examination (MPJE): Applicants must take and pass this examination. To register for the examination, applicants must complete an eligibility form on the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP) website (more info at this link).
  • Submit an Application: For license transfer, applicants must submit a preliminary application for a license transfer to NABP via the Electronic Licensure Transfer Program, or e-LTP (more info at this link). Once the Preliminary Application is approved by NABP, the applicant will receive an Official Application.

The NABP offers most veterans, members of the military, and military spouses discounts on the fees required for the MPJE and the e-LTP application (more info on discounts at this link).

For detailed licensure requirements for all applicants, including for applicants seeking original licensure by way of examination, please review:

  • Pharmacist Application Checklist
  • Rule 4: Licensing. See particularly:
    • Rule 4.00.40: Requirements for License Transfer or Endorsement.
    • Rule 4.00.30(e), related to pharmacist service, training, and education obtained in the military, which states: Education, training, or service gained in military services outlined in C.R.S. 24-34-102(8.5), to be accepted and applied towards receiving a license, must be substantially equivalent, as determined by the Board, to the qualifications otherwise applicable at the time of receipt of application. It is the applicant's responsibility to provide timely and complete evidence for review and consideration. Satisfactory evidence of such education, training, or service will be assessed on a case by case basis.
  • Section 20 - Licensing Policies

Other helpful information for veterans and members of the military can be found on DORA's main Military and Veterans Programs site. This website also contains information for relocated military spouses.

If you have questions on licensing of veterans or members of the military, please contact