Colorado State Plumbing Board: Continuing Education
On April 16, 2019, Governor Polis signed HB 19-1086 into law. On or after May 1, 2021, all licensed Residential, Journeyman, and Master Plumbers must complete Continuing Education (CE) in order to renew a license. This requirement does not apply to the first renewal or reinstatement of a license for which, as a condition of issuance, the applicant successfully completed a licensing examination.
Licensees must complete the following requirements for the renewal of a license:
- At least eight (8) hours of CE must be completed during EACH year (March 1 through February 28) of the two-year license period.
- CE hour completion requirements are based on licensure year; NOT calendar year.
- The CE hours must be selected from among the Core Competencies below in any combination, except that, within every twenty-four month period, a minimum of four (4) CE hours must be related to codes as defined in Board Rule. All four (4) code hours may be completed in a single year or divided between the two (2) years of licensure.
- Cross Connection and Backflow Prevention
- Fixtures, Faucets and Fixture Fittings
- Indirect/Special Waste
- Industry Product Training
- Non-potable Water Systems
- Plumbing Administration
- Residential Fire Sprinkler Systems
- Sanitary Drainage
- Special Piping (Medical Gas)
- Storm Drainage
- System Piping and Components
- Traps, Interceptors and Separators
- Vents - DVM
- Water Heaters
- Water Supply and Distribution
- Safety Related to the Plumbing Industry
- No more than two (2) hours will be accepted in CE courses related to safety training.
- Licensees must attest upon renewal that they have read the current Colorado Plumbing Code.
Licensees holding multiple plumbing licenses issued by the Board must complete CE requirements for the most advanced license held. Completion of CE requirements for the most advanced license shall satisfy the requirements for all lesser licenses.
CE Provider Information
ALL CE COURSES must be taken through a CE vendor or provider that has attested to the Board that their courses and instructors meet the continuing education requirements of Board Rule.
Licensees are responsible for ensuring the CE providers they choose meet the CE requirements in Board Rule. CE providers must be listed with the Board and attest that their courses and instructors meet the continuing education requirements of Board Rule. Reporting providers whose courses do not meet the requirements as
stated in rule can be done by emailing the Board at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please see the CE Attesting Providers List to view a list of CE providers that have attested their courses and instructors meet the requirements defined in Board Rule. Please contact the individual providers directly if you have questions or would like to schedule courses.
Provider Attestation Form
CE providers offering CE courses to Colorado-licensed plumbers must attest that their courses and instructors meet the requirements defined in board rule. Download and submit the following form to add your company to the attesting provider list.
Completed attestations may be emailed to email@example.com or mailed to:
℅ DPO Continuing Competency
1560 Broadway, Suite 1350
Denver, CO 80202
Documentation and Audits of Compliance
Documentation must be retained for a minimum of six years. The Board may conduct audits of continuing education for verification of compliance with these requirements at any time. The Board may, at its discretion, disallow any continuing education course completed by a licensee that was offered by a provider on the Attesting Provider list.