- Plumbing Permit Information
- Plumbing Inspection Information
- Request a Plumbing Inspection
- Plumbing Online Permit System
- Plumbing Board Contact Information
Plumbing Permit Information
A valid Colorado State Plumbing permit must be obtained prior to installing plumbing. All permits are valid for one year from the date the permit is issued. A homeowner or Plumbing Contractor may obtain plumbing permits online. Plumbing permits for all state inspected areas, public schools, and state buildings are issued and inspected by the State Plumbing Board.
A homeowner may install plumbing work at their residence and must obtain a permit with the State Plumbing Board or the local building department prior to starting the plumbing work. A homeowner may do their own plumbing:
- The work is personally performed by the homeowner and the property is not for sale, resale, or rent and is not generally open to the public.
- All work is inspected prior to covering, i.e. insulation, drywall, etc. and again upon completion of the system prior to occupancy and permanent water release.
- All plumbing work complies with the currently adopted plumbing code.
A Plumbing Contractor is required to obtain permits for the work done by the company. Work must not be done using a "homeowner" issued permit or permit issued to another company.
To access hard copy permit forms and other information please review the Permit and Inspection Forms and Documents.
Plumbing Inspection Information
The International Plumbing Code (IPC), the International Residential Code (IRC), and the International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC) are the adopted codes used by the State of Colorado. Plumbing installations must comply with IPC, IRC, and IFGC requirements. The state currently employs' inspectors who inspect in 27 counties throughout Colorado.
- Additional permit fee: This is required when: (1) the number of plumbing items indicated on the original permit does not coincide with what is installed at the residence, or (2) material costs and labor exceeds the original figure estimated for a commercial job.
- Re-inspection fee: If an inspection is marked "rejected" by the inspector, you may be required to pay a re-inspection fee before another inspection will be made.
- Trim permit: If the permit expires after the rough-in inspection has been approved, a trim permit must be obtained and the required fee paid.
- Permit extension: Permits may be extended one time for a period of six months. In order to receive an extension on your permit, you must notify the Denver office before the permit expires. You may contact the office at 303-894-7800.
- Request for a Code Variance: A variance to the code for a specific installation must be granted from the Board. Please complete and submit a variance request form to the Board for review.
Refund Policy: A refund may be allowed for a six-month period of the permit issue date as long as no inspections have been performed. The refund request may be submitted by email, fax, or mail to the Denver Office. The request must include:
- The permit number
- Name of the permit applicant
- Type of payment (if paid by check, include a copy of both sides of the canceled check). Check refunds may take up to 45 days to process
- Reason for the refund request (canceled the job, the property is not in the state's jurisdiction, etc.)
Transfer Policy: A Plumbing Contractor may transfer an existing permit from one job address to another job address, however, a transfer is not allowed between contractors or from a contractor to a homeowner. To qualify for a transfer the contractor must ensure:
- The fee is the same amount, and
- No inspection has been made.
To transfer the existing permit to another address, mark the appropriate changes to the existing permit then send it to the State of Colorado Plumbing Board. The changes will be made and a corrected copy of the permit will be made available. Please contact this office with any questions on the above policy and we will be happy to help you apply for a refund or transfer your permit.
Request a Plumbing Inspection
The most efficient way to request an inspection through our Online Permit System. Have the permit number and address at hand. Inspectors are responsible for setting their daily inspection schedule. Inspections should be requested no later than 3:00 p.m. the day before your inspection. Do not use your cellular phone to request an inspection. Cellular signals are not reliable, possibly resulting in an incomplete inspection request with delayed or no inspections.
- After you have requested an inspection, the inspector will normally schedule your inspection within three days.
- Once an inspection has been scheduled you can access that information from your online account. View the specific permit (find the permit number on your account, and press the link to that permit). At the bottom of the permit page, you will see in "red" a notice alerting you that the inspection has been scheduled for that day.
- This information will be posted throughout the morning on the day of the scheduled* inspection, usually by 10 a.m.
- Make sure that the inspection site is available and the installation is accessible to the inspector from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.
- Contact your inspector with updated driving directions, phone numbers, or access codes not provided on the permit. Do not fax this information the day of the inspection, your inspector may not be available to receive that information.
- To avoid a re-inspection fee make sure that:
- The address number is visibly posted at the driveway entrance of the job site.
- The job is ready for the inspection before you call to request an inspection.
- No additional information regarding the inspection schedule is available through the website or Board office.
- Inspections will not be performed on State-mandated furlough days or official holidays.
*Due to unforeseen delays, your inspector might not be able to complete the entire inspection schedule for that day.
Plumbing Online Permit System
1560 Broadway, Suite 1350
Denver, CO 80202
Phone: 303-894-7800 | Fax: 303-894-2310 | Email: email@example.com