Welcome to the Surgical Assistant and Surgical Technologist Homepage
The Office of Surgical Assistant and Surgical Technologist Registration regulates individuals that perform the duties of a surgical assistant or surgical technologist. Program activities include registering individuals who will be performing these job duties in the State of Colorado, investigating complaints against Surgical Assistants and Surgical Technologists (including those practicing without a registration), and enforcing disciplinary actions against violators of the statute and/or program rules.
The Office is a director model program and has no Board. The Director of the Division of Professions and Occupations, or his or her designee, has the authority to make decisions for the program.
- Public Notices
Permanent Rulemaking Hearing - August 16, 2021
The Office of Surgical Assistant and Surgical Technologist Registration held a Permanent Rulemaking Hearing on August 16, 2021, that allow stakeholders a final opportunity to provide feedback before the Director considered multiple revisions to the Program’s rules to implement Colorado Senate Bill 21-092 (Concerning the continuation of the regulation of persons who assist surgeons, and, in connection therewith, implementing the recommendations contained in the 2020 sunset report by the Department of Regulatory Agencies).
- Notice, SB21-092, and Draft Rules
- Stakeholder Meeting (Recording): July 12, 2021
- Effective Date: October 15, 2021
Permanent Rulemaking Hearing - March 19, 2021
The Office of Surgical Assistant and Surgical Technologist Registration will hold a VIRTUAL Permanent Rulemaking Hearing to allow stakeholders a final opportunity to provide feedback before the Director considers adopting revisions to Rule 1.8. These revisions are required by the Office of Legislative Legal Services (OLLS), to correct language in the rule that conflicts with portions of the statute in the Colorado Senate Bill (Concerning required disclosures to patients regarding formal actions based on sexual misconduct).
- Friday, March 19, 2021, at 1:30 P.M. (MDT)
- Notice, Draft Rule, and SB20-102
- February 11, 2021: Joint Stakeholder Meeting regarding SB20-102 Corrections (recording)
- Legislative Updates
- 2022 New Legislation
- 2021 New Legislation
- HB 21-1123: CAPS Check for Substantiated Cases of Mistreatment of an At-Risk Adult
- HB21-1198: Healthcare Billing Requirements for Indigent Patients
- HB21-1232: Standardized Health Benefit Plan Colorado Option
- SB21-077: Remove Lawful Presence Verification Credentialing
- SB21-092: Sunset Surgical Assistants and Surgical Technicians
- SB21-097: Sunset Medical Transparency Act
- SB21-271: Misdemeanor Reform
- 2020 New Legislation
- Program Information
Zen Mayhugh, Program Director
Office of Surgical Assistant and Surgical Technologist Registration
1560 Broadway, Suite 1350
Denver, CO 80202